Monday, May 11, 2009

Welcome to America refugees...here's your free food stamps

I just read an article on CNN about how refugees are having a hard time finding jobs here in the "land of the free". Welcome to the club. Except in your little club, you get $450 a month housing allowance, food stamps and medical assistance. What do I get? $415 a week minus taxes. That may sound like a lot but out of that roughly $1400 month, I have to pay my mortgage, utilities, groceries AND pay for my own health insurance with is almost worthless. I was born here and have worked here for the last 14 1/2 years. I should be entitled to a little more help than what I'm being given.

I don't qualify for food stamps or for free boxes of food from the food pantry. I don't qualify for reduced utility bills or medicare. Believe me, I've looked. I don't qualify for reduced prescriptions even though I have a potentially deadly heart condition. It's either pay $60 a month for my heart medication or start looking for heart donors.

In 2008, 60,000 people were granted refugee status. That's 60,000 jobs those people now need to find. That's 60,000 people taking away medicare and food stamp assistance from U.S Citizens who were born and raised here and are now unemployed. So what if their country treated them badly. My country treats me badly too and takes all my hard earned unemployment but you don't see me knocking at someone else's boarder asking them if I can come in and have a free ride.

It just irks me that people who aren't from here or who choose to live an irresponsible life are given all these free handouts and those of us that went to college and have professional jobs can't get squat when we get laid off. When the economy is flourishing and unemployment is low, then I have no problem if they want to move here and become U.S citizens. But when the economy is in the crapper and U.S citizens are losing homes and still can't get assistance then ya, that's a problem. We need to be taken care of first and if it means not letting in any immigrants or refugees for a year then so be it. Is making them wait another year or two really going to hurt their feelings? I doubt it.

I mean really,who should be considered more important right now? The millions of respectable U.S citizens that have fallen on hard times and have contributed their fair share to society, or the thugs and immigrants who are either not from here or do nothing but get in trouble and commit crimes? Obviously the latter otherwise I would not be sitting here bitching about how I can't even get a free box of food yet refugees and welfare mommas can.

No comments:

Post a Comment